Meme-o-Book
Tagged by Michelle. I have never done a meme before but Michelle is a really good teacher and kind person at heart so I'll bare my soul a little just for her!
Total Number of Books Owned
Geesh, I have no real idea. I have somewhere around 100 chess books, 100 computer books, several hundred fiction, several hundred nonfiction. I suppose the total would be in the neighborhood of 800 or so books in bookshelves around the house.
Last Book Bought
Morbid Curiosity by Deborah LeBlanc, a fantastic New Orleans horror writer.
Last Book Read
Audubon Field Guide to Florida. What can I say, I'm a nerd! I am also a very eclectic reader, digesting everything from books on Tarot to Rudyard Kipling.
Five Books That Mean a Lot to Me
1) Pet Sematary by Stephen King. Death is a concept I've been grappling with for years. What happens when we die? What if we could bring loved ones back? Analyzing King's story gives insight into his own struggles with this topic and his doubts and concerns about the afterlife.
2) Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman! I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to get a glimpse into what goes on in the mind of a true genius.
3) Walden by Henry David Thoreau. Thoreau's thoughts are beautifully displayed in this novel. His search for God in nature is the same as mine. If there is meaning to our lives beyond ourselves I think he was on the right path to find it.
4) Star Hopping - Robert Garfinkle. This book rekindled my interest in astronomy and led to my building a 10 inch Dobson telescope that has given me great joy looking through the heavens these past few years.
5) The Bible. I have very mixed emotions about this book. The barbaric acts in the name of God just don't fit with the merciful God of the New Testament. Which is the truth? Or do our lives and times color our perceptions so much in these books that we are reading not about God but about our own inner selves? Reading through these chapters I get the impression that through the ages we have twisted the concept of God to fit our own needs and desires. If that is so, perhaps God is not to be found in this book but somewhere deep within our hearts.
Tagged : Terrakat, Josh.
Labels: books, fiction, God, meme, nonfiction


2 Comments:
Yes, you're a nerd. But nerds are my favorite sort of people, being generally more intelligent and curious (and therefore more interesting) than the average person.
I've never read Walden. You've inspired me to do so.
Thanks for doing the meme!
Walden is one of my favorite books...
I had never heard of Deborah LeBlanc, but after reading this, and investigating her a bit online, I will definantly look for her books!
Ever since I was little, books have been my best friends and most cherished posessions...
Post a Comment
<< Home