Why Do State Legislators Keep Saying This?

The Florida state legislature is currently discussing budget cuts. Included in these talks is the cutting of education budgets anywhere from 0%-10%. If I were a betting person I would bet on 10% like they did last year. That makes around a 20% cut in our school budget over the past two years! Since we have already conserved as much as possible the next steps include items such as eliminating the planning period and having a six period day. Though not said yet the implication is that salaries may also be cut as well. "Everything is on the table" is the current philosophy. Though I am thankfully going to avoid the worst of this by retiring at the end of the year it really bothers me that my fellow teachers remaining behind, and some will probably have go, will not have the funding to adequately teach and will be even more stressed out than this year. Classes will be stacked with students, science teachers will not have any time for preparing labs, and salaries are pitiful and may drop.
Last year our state increased funding for state prisons while decreasing educational funding. This is probably a good thing because without a good education I am certain that more of my students will wind up in prison. While slashing our school budget the state legislature keeps spouting off about how much they value educators and the job we do. If they keep throwing this type of manure around they will need bigger shovels!
Labels: budget cuts, education, Florida, teaching


1 Comments:
This post just reminds me that I want out, out, out!
Post a Comment
<< Home