Wednesday, September 19, 2007

My Rules Of Life

Sometimes I go back over some of my old posts and become very annoyed that much of what I write fits in the category of griping. I'm really not that negative in real life but I guess I use this blog to blow off steam so I won't go to school, strip off all of my clothes, and run screaming through the hallways.

Since I usually seem to spew about the things I DON'T believe in, I thought it might be refreshing to tell you the rules I follow for life that I DO believe in. In fact, these are my core beliefs that drive my insane life down whatever road it is going down.

1) Don't say anything behind a person's back that you wouldn't be willing to say to their face. As a result I am considered rather abrasive and too direct by some at work. What my fellow teachers consider tactfulness I consider dishonesty. I'm not a very tactful person and I don't hide my thoughts from others. That's why I have given the name of the school I work at and the real location. The only times I have held back actual names of coworkers it was to save them from hurt or embarassment in the unlikely event they actually run across this blog.

2) For the love of God, laugh! People take themselves way too seriously, especially in the field of teaching. Many of my coworkers write emails with "PhD" prominently displayed after their name, followed by a litany of accolades they have received. Unfortunately, this is usually the most entertaining portion of their emails! They would rather die than express any humor in their writing. A robot could have written most of the emails I read at work. This behavior extends to our staff meetings as well. Everything is serious, even the discussion about the students who snuck in one evening and placed a large boulder in the middle of the campus. We are expected to behave like robots in our duties, guarding the hallways between classes (are they afraid the hall will be stolen?), teaching the FCAT test so our school image will shine (let's be honest here and state that the FCAT test is one of the crappiest standardized tests I have ever seen), and never complain when our teaching is wrecked by the administration pulling out kids with little notice so a group can give them a one hour sales pitch on why they need to buy a school ring! (and I didn't even get a cut from this enterprise!) Loosen up, guys! Have a little fun and the teaching will be much more effective. Forget about the FCAT test and image for once. Our job is to teach the kids and get them excited about our disciplines. That's hard to do when they face a grumpy bunch of unsmiling teachers who only want them to cram for a stupid FCAT test.

3) Act in a caring, honest way towards students. They aren't stupid so treat them on as adult of a level as they can handle for their age. Don't talk down to them and don't ignore them.

Well, it looks like I've managed to complain again! Oh well. It's my nature to bring up those pesky little things that others don't want to hear. That's why I tend to get ignored a lot at faculty meetings. If I weren't right so often it would really hurt my feelings! *grin*. So I will continue to be the conscience of our school, using humor and "inappropriate" comments to point out where we need to change. If no one listens, at least I will know that I've made an effort to improve education.

As an example, the administrators have been patrolling the hallways with notepads in hand looking for teachers who are not standing at their doors between classes. Unbelievable treatment of professionals! I've made up a great little poster proclaiming the recipient is a "Handy Dandy Guard". It has an absolutely hilarious screaming cat photo on it as well. Impressed? I'm going to patrol the halls tomorrow with a legal pad and pen in hand and give these "awards" to all of the teachers I see standing at their doors. Sometimes you just have to laugh!

Labels: , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 12:48 AM, Blogger Chaim said...

Good rules. Pretty much the ones I keep as well, I'd say.

Don't be too hard on yourself about the griping. There's a huge difference between the poisonously negative complainer, and the delightfully good-humored griper! One of the greatest things about the internet is the ability to engage is mass commiseration with people who share your interests. Gripe on!

 
At 7:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it. You are spot on in every way. The awards are an excellent idea!!

Schools treat everyone like toddlers, causing people to behave like such. At one school I worked at, whenever teachers saw the principal coming down the hall (to check if they were there), they would run to one another's classroom, saying, "Mr. P is coming!" It was kinda like something you'd expect the more immature students to do. And in-services? Don't even get me started.

 
At 2:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoy reading your blog (and I do read it).
I don't know why, but I find it cool to read the blog of a teacher.
Wish I would have had a teacher as cool as you when I was in school.

Gripe away if you want! I still think you're cool whether you gripe or not ;o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home