Friday, August 01, 2008

Contact Dermatitis

I will spare you the rather gruesome photo of it. Two weeks ago I switched to another antiperspirant. It is one I have used in the past but within a few minutes of putting it on I had an extremely violent skin reaction to it. Though I immediately cleaned it off the damage had been done. Both underarms turned scarlet and began blistering. It looked like a burn. After that began daily cycles of scalding and then peeling. I tried all of the over-the-counter treatments recommended to no avail. Today I went to my dermatologist for it. He took one look at it and said "Wow!" so I knew it was pretty bad. He gave me steroid pills and the strongest steroid cream they make. One treatment so far and the color has already faded quite a bit. Now it is itching like mad but I think this is just the skin beginning to heal. It is peculiar how strongly my immune system attacked in response to the deodorant. I am just relieved that the new treatment is beginning to clear this up. I did not relish starting a new year of teaching with this.

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

At 6:38 PM, Blogger Chris said...

I can honestly say that I have not thought about my armpits all day long until now. Now I can't quit!

Ouch!

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger BipolarBunny said...

Ouchie!!!

 
At 4:00 AM, Blogger Kate said...

Eeeee! Hope you're feeling better by now. Ditto Chris :-)

 
At 1:15 PM, Blogger Ken Albin said...

It is better today but will probably take a few more days to fully clear up. I wrote the Revlon company and informed them about their Mitchem antiperspirant causing a rash. I haven't heard back from them yet. I guess this is a cautionary tale to be very careful what you apply to your body. There are some nasty chemicals in some of these products that can really cause havoc.

 
At 6:31 AM, Blogger Hanna said...

Oh gosh that sounds like an extreme reaction. I have had skin reactions too, but not that bad! :S

 

Post a Comment

<< Home