Cruelty At The Worst Time
I really wanted to write an upbeat post but something has been on my mind to the point that I have to talk about it. The other day I put a request on the school email to see if anyone knew of a bunny that needed adoption. At lunch with several science teachers one of them asked why I wanted to adopt a bunny. I replied that my bunny of 9 years Sir Francis had died. When I told her that he had a heart problem she and another teacher began laughing. "How did you know he had a heart problem?", she asked with a snicker. I said that we had an EKG and ultrasound test done. She began laughing hysterically. I added that he was on three heart medications and was in an oxygen tent I had made for his cage. At this point she was weeping she was laughing so hard. I told her "I guess you will really find it funny to know that when he fell over I gave him cardiac massage and CPR while my wife sat there crying. She had her head on the desk screaming with laughter. I sat there in shock for a few minutes and then quietly left the room.
Why is it that people can't see or don't care how much it hurts when we lose a furkid? They are like our children and we grieve so much when they pass away. People like her are so very cruel. They are demonstrating their complete disregard for our pain. She did at least send a sympathy card the next day with an apology but it is not much comfort after what she put me through during that lunch.
I loved Sir Francis just as she probably loves her son. If anything happened to him I would be shocked if some teacher responded like she did towards Francis's death. He was not 'just an animal' to me. He was a wonderful, intelligent family member who I cared about deeply. The pain and grieving is something I am dealing with on a daily basis and she increased that pain.


3 Comments:
Is she the queen bee type? I have noticed that other teachers often won't stand up to those sorts, because they do not want that cruelty coming back to bite them. I have encountered similar things, although in my case, it is listening to the almost obscene way that teachers talk about children who have been abused, have special needs, etc. When I have spoken out, people have laughed in my face.
I'm sorry that you had to experience that. She has a serious disconnect between her head and her heart. The only thing I can think of is to try to dredge up some pity for someone who is that emotionally stunted.
Hang in there. That was just awful. (((Hugs)))
Thats so terrible!
I have no idea what it is with those people who think that animals are just that. They just don't seem to understand that when an animal joins your household, they become a member of the family.
I sincerely hope that she'll think twice before opening her mouth like that again, although I have to say, I don't think she will.
I'm sorry you had to go through that. What a shocking experience.
how sad for you to lose a pet of 9 years. some people are so callous and uncouth. i, too, have "furkids" and hope the people around me are more supportive when that horrible day comes.
Post a Comment
<< Home