Depression
I took off the day from teaching today because I had a weekend filled with horrible dreams, little sleep, and arm aching and numbness. I think the school year detritus has finally caught up with me. The administrators and students all expect instant help and responses from me. On the other hand they always want a lot of time to respond to my requests. I feel physically and emotionally beat up. My pinched nerve pain is a constant source of torment. I got the xrays from the chiropractor and they are not good. This school year has been the most draining of my life and my physical problems just add to the frustration. I wish I had more energy and less pain but I am doing the best I can to teach. It is a depressing experience for me to know that I can no longer put as much effort into education. I have always been healthy in my earlier life and this change of events the past year is devastating to me. It tears my soul to try to pet the cats and have my arm give out. I suppose all I can do is to keep on doing the best I can. Another blog writer said that I was a burnt out old teacher. Maybe there is a lot of truth to that but I hate that it is so. I despise self-pity but I appear to be a poster child for it. I need time to heal that I just don't have now at the end of the school year.


2 Comments:
Hang in there, Ken. With mental and physical health being so closely related, I wonder if your depression is health related or if your health is depression related? Maybe a little of both?
Anyway, I hope you are feeling better tonight.
Hmmm. I've been reading your blog for a while, and you sound anything but burnt out, at least when it comes to actual teaching. We all hate the tests, meetings and crap, so that doesn't strike me as being part of burnout.
You do sound down though. Just be careful about what you are telling yourself, because it may not be true.
Depression sucks. I hope you feel better soon.
Post a Comment
<< Home