Wednesday, August 20, 2008

All Sorts Of Things

A lot has been happening this week on different fronts so instead of a theme post I am just going to throw all of these thoughts together.

1) School preplanning is in full swing. Along with the usual mix of meetings I have been putting supplies away and trying to get everything ready for the kids' first day Friday.

2) Good news about the supplies! It looks like almost all of my order was approved and came in. I was really worried about not having necessary lab supplies this year due to the budget cuts but everything is ok for now.

3) Bad news. Class sizes are large and still growing. Where are all og these kids coming from???

4) Humorous news. At least one or two of the administrators must be reading this blog since a rumor has been circulating that I am going to retire in the middle of the year. They probably got this idea from an earlier post of mine. Rest assured that I intend on staying the full year. It would not be fair to the school or students to leave like that. The future? Well, let's just say that I will look at things at the end of this school year and decide then about teaching beyond that point. If I am still having fun it might be a possibility. This is going to be sad news for one of the other science teachers here who has already stated her desire to take over my Anatomy classes and room. I feel a little like a mortally wounded robbery victim whose body is being stripped by robbers while they are still alive. As far as my retiring from teaching, the undertaker will have to wait a little longer.

5) I am going to make a real effort to be more positive about teaching this year, not to take things so seriously in education, and to have more fun teaching. I will laugh at the silly things instead of letting them eat at me. I am also going to smile more and try to help the other teachers here.

6) Very sad news. The wife came home yesterday in tears, She called her parents who live in another state. When she talked to her dad, who has Alzheimer's, he did not know he had a daughter and didn't recognize her at all.

7) I am going to adopt out our cat Elvira. The little vixen keeps raiding the cat food cabinet and stealing treats out of it. I have tried blocking the door with heavy objects but she always finds a way to get in. If it keeps up I will probably have to put a lock on the cabinet.

That's all for now. Sorry for the scattered nature of this post.

6)

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 2:10 PM, Blogger Hanna said...

I'm glad it got solved with the supplies!

Hmm perhaps there were some baby-boom-years 15-17 years ago?

Oh Alzheimer's, that is indeed a horrible disease. My grandmother is also suffering from it, and so far she is just in an early stage ... I am worried that she one day won't recognize my mother. I know that it will sort of break her heart. :(

 
At 12:34 PM, Blogger Anji said...

Sorry I haven't visited for a while, I've missed a lot; Although I don't teach now, just before September I can feel the sap rising...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home