The All American TV Show
I was going through some old family photos recently and something suddenly occurred to me. What television show best exemplified the basic American character? The answer is "Gilligan's Island". I know, the acting wasn't great and the plots were, to be charitable, weak. The true value of the show lies in the morality lessons that appear weekly. The weak can succeed. Intelligence can be a good thing. Materialism does not always bring happiness. Short shorts look great on a trim, perky figure. These are the bastions of American integrity.
With that said, here is a photo I found of the "Minnow". It was sitting in a lot behind a condominium we stayed in back in the 60's in Studio City, California. Note that it was weathered and unpainted. This is because it was the first "Minnow", used in the black and white tapings. We went back a few years later and saw it had been replaced with a larger, painted vessel. This new boat was for the color episodes. It's just a little piece of Americana I captured while growing up.

Technorati Tags: Gilligan's Island, Television, American, Minnow, Boat


1 Comments:
Friends and I used to hop the fence at night and play at the abandoned studio property that had:
Gilligans Island's Lagoon - Also home of some McHales Navy shots.
Hogans Heroes - The hole under the doghouse was only 2-3 feet deep.
Andy Griffiths Sherrif's office - The whole street was a facade with no backs to the buildings. I think the opening shot of the Andy Griffith show where Opie throws the rock into the water was at the "Lagoon" too.
Mr. Eds barn was there along with Wilber's house - Also only front facades.
My friends and I would have a grand old time exploring and running around the place. Western streets, 50's/60's houses, castles and the church from Gone With the Wind (It later burned down but the gang of kids I hung with did not do it)
We did have a lot of fun and sometimes made a bit too much noise. I remember one night that the Culver City PD drove by on Jefferson and said through their loudspeaker, "BE SURE TO BE OUT OF THERE BY DAYLIGHT!"
We were...
Thanks for the memories.
Post a Comment
<< Home