Idiotic People
I have a low tolerance for people like those who are on an email list I belong to who state in email conversations that teachers are incompetent, overpaid whiners. I just had a conversation like that with several members of my email group and I lashed out strongly. I started at $7000 per year. I now make $52000 per year for teaching. That may sound like a lot but I did a study once and found that in this area I could get a lab job with my masters degree for a starting salary that was $8000 more than I was making after 26 years of teaching. Notice I said *starting salary* !!!
In the course of teaching I have developed ulcers and a perforated colon. They were both at least partly related to the high stress level of teaching. I've helped to educate people who have gone on to become lawyers, doctors, and other highly paid professionals and I am proud that I've had a part in this. All I ask for is a little more respect from the public and working conditions and wages that are competitive with my level of training and experience. I don't think that is too much to ask for. Let those who whine on in emails about teachers try teaching for a month. They would go screaming out of the classroom long before the month was up. Teachers damn well deserve more respect and more compensation for the job we do from the general populace. We do a thankless job as well as is humanly possible. It's about time that these idiots who send their whining, thoughtless emails wake up and realize that.
Technorati Tags: Teaching, Conditions


5 Comments:
i think teachers are in fact underpaid; but then again probably you didnt go into the field for the pay....
I seriously wonder about how people can deride teachers. The jobs seems almost thankless, and yet we depend on you to help create tomorrow's leaders.
I mean seriously, what do these people want?
So let me take a moment to say, "Thank you. For you, all my many teachers, and those of my yet unborn children, thank you!"
Thank you, yasser and sandro, for your thoughts. No, I don't do it for the money. I do it because I love helping students to be creative and to think for themselves. These are traits that will help them be successful in whatever fields they go into after school. I love what I do and I appreciate greatly all of the wonderful teachers who helped me to get to the point where I can help others. I love teaching!
Not only would you make more money Ken, but there would be no concern about a school shooting, no papers to grade and no parents to deal with. Sounds like a deal. Our public school are too busy with achievement tests and changing the curriculm to allow teachers to do their jobs. People do not love teaching, shouldn't be in the classroom. No one likes to pay taxes and the school consume a lot of tax dollars, so they blame the teachers. Doesn't make sense, just makes them feel better.
Very true, Jane. My problem is that I truly love the interaction, the joy of learning that comes with teaching students. The best feeling in life for me is when I see that spark created in a student, when they suddenly are joyful in learning something new. I could never give that up in spite of the crap and lack of appreciation elsewhere.
Post a Comment
<< Home