Friday, July 21, 2006

Yep, It's A Triop



Here is one of my 10 current little monsters living in a 5 gallon tank at home. Chico is a triop, a fresh water crustacean specialized for living in short lasting rain pools. Most of them have both sexes and they can even fertilize their own eggs if there is only one left. They carry their eggs in two pouches at the front of the abdomen and they dig a hole and bury them. These guys have a fast metabolism and even the oldest ones usually do not make it past 70 days or so. They mature in about two weeks and can breed at that point. One of the neat things about them is that after the last one has died, you can pour off as much water as possible, let the bottom dry out in a dark place, wait about three or more weeks after drying, add distilled water, and the eggs that were previously laid will hatch. I recommend them as easy to keep pets. There are a few rules about water type that you need to be aware of but there are a number of good websites dealing with the care of triops. They are fascinating creatures that actually do seem to be curious about people.


Technorati Tags: , , ,

5 Comments:

At 1:34 PM, Blogger Dana said...

That is very interesting as I have never heard of one before. I bet my kids would love one. ;)

 
At 6:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How unusual!

 
At 2:15 PM, Blogger Frances D said...

Hey that was really fascinating. I love reading about stuff like this.
I found you on BlogExplosion.
Take care,'
Frances

 
At 9:48 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Wow, this is cool. Beats the heck out of goldfish. I'd love to know where to get one. I have been to all of the speciality fish shops in Austin and never seen anything like this, and now I'm in my little small town...suggestions? My seven year old would love this guy.

 
At 11:05 PM, Blogger Ken Albin said...

You can order them off of a number of internet sites. I have also seen them in the Smithsonian kits at Target stores. http://www.triops.com is one place that I have gotten kits from. They have pure eggs and sealed nutrient packs that do not foul the water. I highly recommend triops. They are a lot of fun to grow and watch.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home