Meet The Administration!

Well, actually not ALL of our administrators are like this. Some of them are actually pretty nice, down to earth people. In a moment of unthinking action some teachers today arrived to their mailboxes to find a 'certificate' placed there by an administrator that stated they were observed not standing by their doors between classes!
I didn't get one of these love notes but I still feel insulted that teachers are being treated like they were 6 years old. Let me point out a few facts:
1) Teachers at my school are working their asses off with the kids. If they are not at their doors when an administrator comes wandering by it's not because they are sitting in their offices drinking coffee with their feet up on their desks. They are counseling students, giving makeup tests, dragging some urchin to the dean's office, or conducting one of a million tasks that make the school run smoothly and helps the kids to learn. I know that in this day and age in society image is everything and learning isn't a high priority with some but that is still what we all try to do around here.
2) We deserve to be treated as adults, not as preschoolers. This includes speaking to us directly instead of slipping obnoxious notes into our mailboxes.
3) Teacher morale has been rather low here at the beginning of this year due to a myriad of conflicting demands being placed upon us. This really does not help our morale. I hope things improve after they think about our morale and the part we play here.
It takes as much effort to give us an occasional pat on the back as it does a kick in the rear.
Labels: administration, certificate, insult, letter, stupid, teaching


2 Comments:
I'm sorry you had to deal with that nonsense. I had to deal with some from another school this week (after breaking up a dangerous fight, at that), and I got so angry I could have quit on the spot. Thank goodness for my rational principal. It makes ALL the difference, doesn't it?
Yeah, that sounds like some poor management. Actually it sounds like the sort of garbage most schools in China would do. I'm sure I could come up with some equally idiotic anecdotes about my last boss. People really need to treat teachers with a bit more respect.
Post a Comment
<< Home