Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Education Strikes Again

As I catch my breath let me give you all a little background. My last set of Chemistry courses was in 1974-1975. Chemistry was always my weakest subject. When I got my teaching certificate the powers-that-be stuck Chemistry as an an endorsement on my paper. I have never taught Chemistry. I have no desire to teach Chemistry. I have no aptitude for teaching Chemistry. I haven't taken a Chemistry course in more than 30 years. I have spent the past 15 years asking Tallahassee to take Chemistry off of my certification list. It would be terribly unfair and cruel for me to inflict the teaching of Chemistry upon students at my school. Their comprehension of Chemistry concepts would suffer, in spite of my efforts to teach them.

Some people just don't understand that the science disciplines are almost totally separate endeavors. They expect a teacher to be able to teach any branch of science equally well. I usually ask them the following question: "If all areas of science are equal, why don't you let your podiatrist replace that leaky heart valve of yours?".

With the downsizing of our school I got the word today from the department chairperson that I would be teaching.....drumroll please..... Chemistry! Apparently I will be one of two people left who are certified for Chemistry. The fact that I am totally incompetent for the job is immaterial. I tried to see the principal to discuss this but could not get in after waiting 40 minutes. I finally had to go back and teach so I emailed him with my reservations. I sent a copy of it to the school board chairperson and superintendent. The email pointed out that I would teach whatever they wanted me to teach but with 29 years of Biological background it seems a waste for me to act as a babysitter in classes where I can provide only a mediocre education.

This has made me decide that I am quitting after next year. Technically I will have 30 years after working for 1/2 year so I could quit halfway through the year. I would hate to do that but teaching Chemistry I would be able to provide as much guidance and instruction as if they asked me to teach calculus. I am not going to inflict my stumbling efforts to teach a subject I know little about to students who deserve better just to fill a slot. It will be a sad way to end 30 years of successful Biology and Anatomy instruction but sometimes I have no control over fate. Now I'm going to go take a pill for my migraine and try to relax.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At 11:38 AM, Blogger BipolarBunny said...

Whoa! Big stuff! Well, I admire your dedication to quality education. I wish you luck in your next endevour.

 
At 6:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They tried to get me to teach Algebra. Talk about a catastrophe. I'm not even certified in it.

This is what NCLB has done...qualifications on a sheet of paper count for more than actual ability. It is like this everywhere.

On the bright side, sometimes it can be fun to teach something while you are also learning it. It's "new" to you and perhaps you can bring a sense of discovery to your students. Also, you are a good teacher, and many people who are competent in a subject cannot teach it. The students may have suffered anyway. There are some fascinating things about Chemistry, many of which relate to biology. I know you'll be able to make it work in a way where students benefit.

Still, I'm sorry you have to deal with the whole thing at all.

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger Chris said...

I hated chemistry and can't imagine teaching it. Sorry you got stuck with that!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home