Going Insane Without Really Trying
Our cats and bunny are our children. Most people don't understand that. They tell me that I can just get another pet if anything happens to one of mine. I am literally ill from worry about little Casper. I've stayed up the past few nights stroking his poor body while he lies next to me in bed. Despite the prednisone he is on Casper has had a couple of bad days with his brain tumor. I can tell he is in pain with it at times and other than petting him there hasn't been much I can do to help him. I can't cure him or make him feel better and it's killing me.
Casper would not eat well yesterday so we had to force feed him once. Today was a better day for him and he ate pretty well. We are trying to keep Casper going so he can make it to the oncologist consult tomorrow. Hopefully there will be something we can do to help shrink the tumor and relieve the pressure on his brain. One possibility is a "one shot" stereotactic radiosurgery treatment at the University of Florida if the tumor is not too large. At the very least I will ask about pain control for him so he can live out the last few weeks of his life in relative comfort. I don't want to give up on him and have Casper euthanized if he can gain months of time and get relief from this cancer. I do not want him to suffer but as long as he is willing to fight it I am behind him 100%. The worry, though, is driving me crazy.
Labels: brain, cancer, cat, pain, radiation, treatment, tumor


1 Comments:
I am so sorry. There are no words right now that anyone can give you that will ease your pain.
I lost my four legged son on December 28th 2006. We had in fact taken him to the vet just that morning, again....and we finally were given the diagnosis, he had a massive stomach tumor and lung cancer. He was a big dog, and at 14 had had a long wonderful life full of love, chasing balls and good times. He was our son, we can't have kids, so he was our child.
He'd been feeling poorly for only a few weeks, so we just thought it was old age.
Took him home that night after being told we had a few weeks to a few months left, and he died in my arms that night.It was so quick.
I don't say this to make you sad, but the one thing that helped me get through this at all was that he was still wagging his tail that last day and night. He still had quality of life. Albeit not as he had, but he still was happy. And that we didn't prolong it, or allow him to fall more ill.
It's the hardest thing you can do, but we were prepared to have a vet come to the house and send him to the rainbow bridge as soon as he told us it was time. I hope you can do the same.
My thoughts are with you and if you need to chat, may I recommend lightening strike pet loss support, they were immensly helpful to me.
Post a Comment
<< Home