The Strange People I Deal With
Today I sent one of my students to the dean's office for the 6th time in the past 8 weeks. He was disturbing the other students as they were working on an assignment. After I shooed him back to his seat and as I was writing up his discipline referral he calmly took out his cell phone and began playing a game on it. I took his phone away from him and sent him on his way after emailing the referral, updated with the phone story, to the dean.
What is wrong with this kid? He obviously values attention more than grades but he never responds to positive attention. I've tried daily to find something positive about his actions to praise in some way but he seems to delight in silly, childish behavior. I am unflappable around him but I'm sure that he pushes the buttons of those teachers with less experience. He practically lives in the dean's office these days but they won't suspend him because he wants to go home.
This student isn't stupid. When he tries he actually does quite well in class. Currently he has a 60 D- average, solely due to his being kicked out of class after performing for the group. He will probably not pass the term at the rate he is going and he doesn't seem to care. Frankly, at this point I wish the deans would send his derriere home and spare the other students his constant distractions. Sometimes you can't save a student. At that point you have to consider the wellbeing of the rest of the class. Perhaps taking the class again as a junior he will have a little more maturity and desire to make wise decisions. Until then, the office will be his second home.
Labels: discipline, disruptive, school, student, teach


1 Comments:
I have some kiddos like that. Some of them I end up connecting with when we can just talk for a bit about life in general during this bit of time we have right before school lets out. Others just drive me straight up the wall until they return to their home school.
Online referrals? Cool.
Post a Comment
<< Home