Monday, June 02, 2008

Velvet and Beau


Boy, this has been the season for cat stories! I guess you write what you know about so here goes. This lookalike couple are Velvet on the left and his son Beau on the right. When our sweet Daddy Cat died at 17 we were crushed. After several months we went looking for a cat to get in honor of him. I knew we could never replace our old guy but I thought the act of rescuing a cat would be a good thing. This was the first time we went to Goliath and Bebe's World, the group we volunteer for now. Here we found a very sad, passive cat called Black Velvet. We petted him and he just put his head under my arm in terror. He hated the cage. We had never even thought about adopting a second cat but Lisa offered both cats in the cage for the same price. She said that they were bonded father and son and that black cats were not going well due to the fact many people were superstitious about them. After a short deliberation we said yes to both. I am so glad we did. Watching Velvet and his son Beau cuddle at home is one of the sweetest things you could see. Velvet is still somewhat shy but now he loves petting and will hop up and lie on the arm of my chair. Beau is a party animal who enjoys playing with Elvira and Luvie.

They came off of the streets and were gathered in by a local "cat hoarder" who had 50 cats. This woman had to move in with her daughter and the rescue group had to find a home for all 50 cats. I know where 2 of them are.

6 Comments:

At 1:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww what a heartwarming story.

We rescued both our cats from the SARA Society here in Vancouver and I can't understand why more people don't do the same. The cats in Shelter have SO much love to give!

Their only crime is that they were left to suffer at the hands of their previous owners. I couldn't imagine not getting a cat from shelter. They are so deserving of a new home.

 
At 9:15 AM, Blogger cube said...

How nice of you & your wife not to break up the pair. They look very much like our Felix.

 
At 12:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is sad how people don't like black cats! I think they look really sleek and exotic.

 
At 7:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, that's great of you to rescue the cats - especially after the horrible home they came from. They're really sweet looking. :)

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger BipolarBunny said...

Good for you for taking both. They're so cute.

 
At 9:36 PM, Blogger Dawtch said...

They are absolutely beautiful! One day I may again get to have a fur-baby *sigh*
bb
dawtch

 

Post a Comment

<< Home