Thursday, March 08, 2007

A 'Down The Toilet' Kind Of Day


The teaching day started out with a bang. One of my nicer students in Anatomy was working on the cat blood vessel dissection. Suddenly she crumpled up on the floor. By the time I got over to her she was awake again. I called the nurse and she got a ride in the wheel chair down to the clinic. She is fine now but I suppose the scene got to her. Each year I usually have one incident like that during one of the dissections. It goes with the territory but always shakes me up when it happens.

During 6th period Physical Science my favorite dean's office student was there. I had already fussed at him for coming into the room with a nice little profane outburst. Another student asked me how many questions were on the midterm exam and I told him '100'. My favorite student looked at me and said "You are such a jerk!" I wrote the little cretin up and informed him that he would not be allowed back into my classroom until he verbally apologized to me. The dean gave him 1 day of Saturday school which I doubt he will serve. I will probably be asking that he be permanently removed from my class when he comes back tomorrow and refuses to apologize. I put up with a lot of crap from students but one thing I have never tolerated in 28 years of teaching is disrespect towards me. I am willing to take this issue straight to the principal if necessary but I refuse to be treated like that by any student and I refuse to teach this little monster without a major change in his behavior.

Labels: , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 7:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is especially disappointing when a student you really like is mean. I attribute as much of it as I reasonable can to hormones, but you are right in that the level of disrespect is rising rapidly.

I agree that people should really be certain about their career choice before they become teachers--not only about the kids, but about the BS politics with admins, high-stakes testing, etc.

Hang in there!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home